Statistic on Racial/Gender-Based Violence Record against North East People
|Violence against women|
|Toral crime against women||59||57.84%|
|Non Payment Salary||6||5.88%||4||2||0||6|
|Rent Non Refund||2||1.96%||1||1||0||2|
Record Updated on May 11, 2011
Many incidents of gender/racial-based violence and discrimination go unreported…
69. May 25, A tribal women belonging to the Kuki-Chin community of Myanmar (Burma) was allegedly murdered by a Nigerian national named Innocent Nwayo at his residence in Uttam Nagar-II, here in the capital recently. The deceased body has been identified as Cecilia Chong, 23, who is married to Kam (name changed), a BPO employee in 2005. Kam, hailing from Churachandpur, Manipur married to the deceased some time ago.
68. May 10, An Assamese girl rescued from being sold in marriage in Delhi. Shakti Vahini rescued them.
67. April 12, Two Mizo boys attacked in Murnika, while marking.
66. April 12, Landlord Attacked a North East Brother and Sister in Murnika, Hospitalised in Trauma Centre
65. Jan 8, A 14 Years Old Nepali girl from Manipur Rescued from being sold in Gurgaon for Rs 50 thousand.
64. Jan 7, 2011 – Four Youths Northeast Youths and One Woman Assaulted in Murnika, New Delhi.
63. Dec 3, An Assames Girls software Engineer raped by a man pretext of marrying her.
62. Dec 5 – A student from North East India, studying in Lady Sri Ram College was molested by a taxi driver in presence of her college three friends. FIR lodged in New Friend Colony and accused arrested.
61. Dec 3 – A Call Centre employee from Manipur was attempted to kidnap and rape by four African nationalists at South Delhi Select Citywalk. FIR lodged after two days. Accused absconding.
60. Nov 23 – A 30 years old Mizo girl working in a BPO Gurgaon, kidnapped by four men at gun point at 1 AM and abandoned after gang rape in Dhaula Kuan area.
59. Nov 19 – A 17 years old girl seduced a Muslim boys, attempted kidnap. Rescue and send back home to Manipur. She was working in a beauty parlor. Case not registered upon the request of parent.
58. Oct 24 – Two Temple Worker, came to collect donation at IIT Campus, A girl from Manipur was taking shower. She opened the door and gage Rs 20 donation. Both asked for water and intruded inside room, graped hold of her, assaulted sexually, when she raise alarm, they treathened and snatched jewelary worth of Rs 30,000. Reported to Police and complaint refused by Vasant Vihar Police station.
57. Sep 8 – A Girls from Manipur Molested by her Supervisor in a Private Company. Company is taking up the case.
56. In month of August – A minor girl from Manipur working as domestic worker in a family from Manipur, eloped with a local boy and left the girl murdered in Nazafgarh. Parents reused to register case against the boy and family.
55. Aug 29 – A Girl from Manipur Attacked and Molested a Restrobar, Connaught Place, New Delhi
54. July 27 – A Boy from Manipur Beaten by five men in Sikanderpur Gurgaon
53. July 27 – A Women Nursing two months old baby had her modesty outraged two boys beaten at Sikanderpur, Gurgaon
52.July 21 – An Elderly Man from Manipur looted at Sikanderpur, Gurgaon, Slept on street four nights
51. May 30 – A NE boy beaten by local in Murnika, South Delhi.
50. On May 27 – A girl from Manipur was severely beaten by a local at Murnika South Delhi
49. on November 26 – Eight boys from North East India are brutally beaten by property owner at Sikanderpur, Gurgaon, Harayana today afternoon at around 3 PM. The rented rooms are locked by the house owner and boys and girls forced out without any shelter
48. On November 22 – A Ph D. Student from Assam molested in JNU
47. On November 6 – A 20-year-old girl from Ukhrul district, Manipur belonging to Tangkhul tribe, was molested by her Show room manager in Metropolitan Mall, Gurgaon at 9.20PM after rejecting his advances by showing nude pictures in computer.
46. On November 4 – A 22-year-old boy from Churachandpur district, Manipur belonging to Paite tribe, was beaten by locals at Sikanderpur, Gurgaon at 9PM
45. On November 3 – Two boys of age 20s from Ukhrul district, Manipur belonging to Tangkhul Naga tribe, working in Mall in Gurgaon were severely attacked at 9PM in Sikanderpur Gurgaon, Haryana by locals.
44. On November 3 – Two girls of age 20s from Ukhrul district, Manipur belonging to Tangkhul Naga tribe, working in Mall in Gurgaon were attacked and pushed in drainage in Sikanderpur, Gurgaon at 8 pm. They managed to run away from the scene.
43. On October 25 – A 19-year-old girl from Ukhrul district, Manipur belonging to Tangkhul Naga tribe was murdered by an IIT PhD scholar in Munirka after she rejected his advances.
42. On October 22 – A 21-year-old Jamia Millia Islamia student from Arunachal Pradesh was molested by a group of boys inside their school in South Delhi.
41. On October 15 – A 23-year-old Call Centre working girl from Mao district, Manipur, belonging to Mao tribe was in Naraina, New Delhi while coming from work at 10 PM.
40. On October 12 – A Naga couple from North East India was severely beaten by localites in Delhi on late Saturday night. The complaint was denied initially by police officer on duty and registered complaint after 20 hours.
39. On October 12 – A 24-year-old girl from North East was dragged inside a Maruti van bear Sarojini Nagar. She managed to raise an alarm and is saved by passerby. TOI
38. On September 22, 2009
A North East Girl from Manipur is reported of beaten by neighbours and alleged molested last night in Murnika, New Delhi and alleged threatened to chase all Manipuris. Click here
37. On September 20, 2009
In the night of September 20,2009 pm a Chiru Naga boy was severely assaulted with iron rods by local goons at Outram Lines, said MSAD.
36. On July 17, 2009
Maharashtra Police has failed to nap the culprits of four Naga students who were attacked in Pune last month. Help is sought from State Governor. National capital continues to witness racial attack on North East communities.
35. On July 15, 2009 A Boy working in a Private Company in Gurgaon was severely attacked by three unknown persons in Mahipalpur, New Delhi. He was attacked while walking through the street leading to his rented house in from main road where he was dropped by his office cab. He injure stitches.
34. On July 8, 2009 A landlord son climbed on window pan and took snaps of the north east girls sleeping inside the room with mobile camera. Noticing the camera flash, girls in side the room rush to veranda to catch the man who took the snap. The man managed to escape from the scene and dropped his mobile. Later the girls discovered the mobile belong to landlord’s son. The matter was reported to NE Helpline and suggested to give the complaint to police.
33. On June 21, 2009 Racial Attack on Four North East Boys in Pune Four North East Indian boys belonging to Naga tribes faced racial attacked in Pune on June 21, 2009. Four of them got injuries on body while one suffers severely with five stitches on forehead.
32. On June 15, 2009 NE girl molested by tutor in Delhi A North East girl who came for graduate admission in Delhi University was allegedly molested by a tutor in North Delhi. The incident of molesting the innocent girl begun from the time she had gone to the resident of the accused for Hindi tuition, North East Support Centre and Helpline spokesperson, Madhu Chandra in a release reported.
31. On May 15, 2009 Nurse from Tamenglong found murdered in New Delhi. Imphal, A 25-year old unmarried staff nurse of Vinayak Hospital, Derawal Nagar Modern Town in Delhi was found killed suspiciously on May 15 at the Ridge area, Rajpur Civil Lines. Due to late verification, the nurse’s dead body was disposed off by the concerned authority on May 19 at Delhi.
30. On April 17, 2009 Six Years Old North East Girl Raped and Murdered. A six year old girl from Manipur belonging to a Naga tribe was raped and murdered at Mahipalpur, New Delhi today. Racial discrimination to North East communities living in Delhi and NCR continues.
29. On March 10, 2009, Two north east girls was beaten by a cycle rikshaw driver. They were beaten with sharp edge stone from backside of the cycle rikshaw. Both the girls injured and admitted in local hospital. Police registered a complaint and culprits absconded.
28. On March 7, 2009 Cable Operators Beaten A North East Boy Severely in Gurgaon. Three Cable operators bat a boy from Manipur and admitted in Civil Hospital, Gurgaon. Doors broken, house hold items and TV set broken. Racial assault and discrimination continues in Gurgaon city.
27. On December 30, 2008 A NE Tribal Girl Raped in IT Hub City Gurgaon. Fact Finding Team Rushed and Lodged Complaint. Rapist Arrested. The year 2008 ended with sock with a rape case of a 22 year old Assamese girl in IT hub city Gurgaon, National Capital Region on December 30th night. The fact finding team rushed to the spot and extended help in filing the complaint.
26. On December 12, 2008 Two North East Girls Molested, Beaten and Hospitalized in Gurgaon. Police Refused FIR under SC/ST Atrocity Prevention Act. Sexual and Racial Harassment to North East Community once again erupt in Delhi and NCR.
Sexual and racial harassment to North East communities erupt again Delhi and NCR. Two North East girls were severely beaten by a landlord and his son after molestation on December 12 midnight at Sikandrapur, DLF Phase 1, Gurgaon. One among them seriously injured at leg, hand and face and hospitalized.
The incident happened at 2.30 AM on December 12, 2008 when landlord at drunken state entered the room rented to two girls just two days ago and molested them. The girls informed the North East community leaders of Gurgaon and they rushed to the spot to help them. The landlord and his son assembled the neighbors and severely beaten them.
25. On July 11, 2008 Working girl from Manipur found dead at Mumbai. Imphal, Jul 15: A 23-year old Manipuri girl working at the 5-star Leela Kempinsky hotel in Mumbai was found dead at her rented room at Andheri East in Mumbai on July 11 midnight in a suspicious manner.
The girl identified as Chabungbam Elina alias Ebehaibi, daughter of Ch Shyamkishore Singh of Kongba Khestri Leikai Karkhong in Imphal east district was brought back by her family to Imphal on an Indian Airlines flight from Mumbai this afternoon.
24. On April 26, 2008 A North East Boy Beaten Mercilessly by a House Owner. Police Cops Called for Help Joined House Owner in Beating. On Saturday, the April 26, Delhi Police repeats the story of delay and deny of First Information Report (FIR) lodged by North Easterners. Police cops called for help joined landlord to beat up the innocent boy who happened visit his cousin sisters, living in a rented at House in Mahipalpur, South West Delhi.
On January 8, 2008 Racist language and bigotry displayed in the Article “Drug lords prey NE-Girls to Act as Peddlers” by Kumar Vikram in Mail Today on January 28, 2008 page 4 has shocked people of North East India, the African community who are guests in our country, women, and Civil Society in general.
23. On January 5, 2008 Two North East Sisters Molested by 25 Men at Delhi. 25 men molested two north east sisters at Gandhi Vihar, New Delhi on January 5. They along with their young brother were severely beaten by culprits after molestation. Timapur police station refused to lodge First Information Report (FIR). Fact Finding Team of NE Support Centre & Helpline rushed to the spot to extend the help and gave trauma counseling to the victims.
22. On December 2, 2007 Minor Northeast Girl Molested Repeatedly. A minor girl of 17 years old who is doing a designing course was molested repeatedly by her landlord in Gurgaon, Haryana. After failing the repeated attempt to rape, the house owner, in frustration threw out the girl along with her sister and cousin from the house without any reason at midnight. The North East Support Centre & Helpline went to lodge an FIR at Gurgoan Police station today, but the police denied even registering it.
21. On November 22, 2007 A Woman Married to a North East Man Abused. Husband Threatened to Ride Over by Motor Cycle. A local woman married to a man from Manipur was teased with abusive remarks and her husband threatened by a group of young people in Murnika, South Delhi, when he tried to silent the abusers. He was threatened to ride over by motor cycles.
The incident happened when the couple residing at Raja Garden, New Delhi went to visit their relatives living in Murnika on November 22 at zero hour of the night. “I parked my car and enquired address of my relative to a group of people who were hanging around. Looking at me as from North East India, they started teasing my wife with abusive remarks, which aroused my wife in anger. I tried to silent the mob but I was threatened to ride over by motor cycle,” says the victim.
20. On November 9, 2007 a girl from Manipur was beaten up by one of his own community fellow man at zero hour of the night. The man, who claimed to a Vice President of Student Union intruded her rented room in R. K. Puram, New Delhi while she along with her seven other friends was in deep sleep after celebrating her friend’s birthday. He slapped on her face two times and also abused her and her friends terming them to be bad character.
The matter was reported to the Student Union leaders of which the accused claimed to be Vice President and he made pardon of his misdeed according to the source reaching to NE Support Centre & Helpline.
One of the Helpline number of North East Support Centre was contacted to look into the matter as the victim wanted some disciplinary action should be taken on the man who has beaten her, otherwise she wanted to given complaint to police for the crime of intruding girls’ room in midnight and beating her.
NE Support Centre & Helpline was assured by the President of Student Union that appropriate action will be taken on man claimed to be the Vice President of the particular Student Union.
19. On November 8, 2007 police has arrested a group of young people from Manipur after clashes with a group of people in Delhi. According to the information reaching to NE Support Centre & Helpline, the local group lodged complaint against those boys from Manipur and police took them in custody immediately. The police who used to snail space, delay and even denial when complained by North East communities, were so fast to take the complaint and arrest the accused.
A case against the boys from Manipur was registered and produce before the magistrate and latter bailed out.
18. On November 7, 2007 a 30 years old man from Manipur was beaten up by a neighbor in R K Puram. A neighbor along with two of his friends intruded a house belonging to a Manipuri family and grabs the neck of the husband and tried to hit him with iron rode without reason being told.
Later reason was told that children belonging to the family from Manipur had quarrel with neighbor children.
With fear and trembling, the family from Manipur rang up to police helpline no. 100. Before the police helpline rushed to the spot, the neighbor and his friend brought two police from near by and taken the family from Manipur to local police station and forced him to sign a paper with a false statement that he and his brother threaten the neighbor and friends with a knife. It was filed before NE Support Centre & Helpline reaches the spot.
When the Police Helpline reached the spot, fabricated story was already filed in police station where both the party compromised.
Police was so fast in filing complaint against this family. What would have been the story if it happened to opposite party, only the time will tell!
17. On November 6, 2007 sexual assault to three and half year old girl from North East was reported to NE Support Centre & Helpline. The parents of the girl were suggested lodge complaint in police station and latter taken to hospital for medical examination.
The parents of the girl refused to register the case in fear of the facing disgrace that can cause by the medial examination to them and their little one. The accused went free without any punishment.
According to the sources reaching to NE Support Centre & Helpline, split of semen was found on the body of the girl.
16. On November 4, 2007 a Girl from Manipur was sexually assaulted by a resident of Sabdarjan Enclave in Daylight today.
According to the information reaching to NE Support Centre & Helpline, the girl was coming out of her rented house in Sabdarjan Enclave, New Delhi this evening, a man seems to be drunk came in front of her and assaulted her sexually in daylight.
Soon after the incident, the resident of the locality caught hold of the man and requested the victim forgive him and let go without reporting to police.
15. On October 20, 2007 A report reaching to the North East Support Center (NESC), a Landlord in Safdarjung Enclave refused to pay back the advance money given by a three North East students for renting rooms. Rooms were agreed to rent out to North East students but it was rented out to others when they went to occupy. In spite of the request, the landlord refused to give back the advance payment of rupees 2000 telling them to never show their face.
The incident happened when those students went to occupy the rooms on October 30 as per the ageement between them and landlord and happened to be rented out to others. When these students requested the landlord to return the money, it was refused inspite of repeated request. It is a shabby two rooms which the landlady agreed to rent it out for 5500 rupees and took advance rent of Rs 2000 on October 26.
14. On October 21, 2007 a North East girl was sexually assaulted and beaten by man. Students from Manipur were forced to vacate rented house. Police delayed registering complaint.
Same night after “North East Support Centre & Helpline” was officially launched at Press Club of India, a tribal girl age of 21 years old from Manipur was sexually assaulted by a tenant at 12:30 AM on October 21, 2007. In spite of protecting the victim, the landlord forced victim’s cousin and other students from north east India living in the rented house to vacate the rooms without any notice.
Fact Finding Team of “North East Support Centre & Helpline” after hearing the news of the incident, rushed to the spot and gave immediate trauma counseling to the victim. An application was lodged in Vasant Kunj Police station to book the accused and landlord under SC/ST Atrocity Prevention Act (1995)
The incident happened when she along with her sister went to visit her cousin brother who lives in rented a room in Mahipalpur.
The Victim reports to North East Support Centre & Helpline, “When my cousin went to shared bathroom outside the room, I was waiting outside for her, a tenant claimed to be a police man started taking picture of me and molested me by pointing out to my private parts.”
When she screamed, her cousin brothers came out in rescue of her. They were abused by the man claimed to police in front to the residents by making assault remarks on them.
Next day, the landlord, instead of protecting the victim, forced three students from Manipur living in the rented rooms of the same building to vacate the house immediately without any prior notice. Students sought shelter in their friends living near by along with their belongings after they were pushed out by the landlord.
NE Support Centre & Helpline fact finding team gave trauma counseling to the victim and latter went to Vasant Kunj police station to lodge FIR. Police duty officer not only delayed but refused to take the complaint. After 22 hours, the police filed FIR when NDTV reporter when to police station to enquire why the complaint has been delayed. Soon after the arrival of NDTV, FIR was registered and accused was arrested under molestation and racial harassment charges. However police still refused to register the case under SC/ST Atrocity Prevention Act as the victim belong to ST community.
13. On October 12, 2007 a manager of a New Delhi Call Centre made sexual advances to two young women from North East India, and then stopped their salary and suspended them from work when they resisted his overtures.
NE Support Centre & Helpline’s initial investigations show, two women from Nagaland, aged about 23 were employed by A Call Centre, New Delhi on September 4, 2007.
The manager of Call Centre allegedly made sexual advances to one of them, repeatedly asking her to accompany him on many occasions.
The young woman refused. The manager then allegedly turned to her friend. She too refused to fall in the trap.
He allegedly retaliated by stopping the transport pick up service to bring them to office and dropping them to the house they had rented in Safdarjang from October 12, 2007 onward. The women were forced to find their transport home late at night.
Prior to NE Support Centre & Helpline was launched, the cases of discrimination have been an issue of concern as increase of atrocities was already alarming. Lemayao Shimray – Spokes Person of NE Support Centre & Helpline reports:
12. On September 16, 2007 four DU students, hailing from Manipur, have alleged that some unidentified men molested them on Saturday night while they were going to attend a freshers’ party at North Campus. The students alleged that the accused persons were appearing for recruitment of Delhi Police’s constable at Kingsway Camp.
Police said they have not received any complaint and denied knowledge of any such incident. However, the students, while speaking to Times of India said that they have approached Mukherjee Nagar police station but no action has been taken on their complaint.
The SHO and Police constable were suspended latter from the service for failing to perform their duty and FIR of molestation case was filed against the candidates for recruiting to the Delhi police who molested the girls. – TOI
11. On August 13, 2007 a 27 year old woman has alleged that she was molested by an auto rickshaw driver in Chirag Dilli on Monday night. A case of molestation and criminal intimidation has been registered after the woman, belonging to Manipur, complained that the incident had happened when she was returning from work.
According to police, the victim is a resident of Chirag Dilli and was returning around 9.30 pm to her house. “She took an auto rickshaw from her office in Safdarjung Enclave for Chirag Dilli. When the victim was close to her house, the driver stopped the auto on the pretext that the vehicle had developed some snag,” said a police officer.
The victim, in her complaint, said: “He went to the rear side of the auto and started repairing something. While I was sitting inside the three-wheeler, he suddenly grabbed me and put a cloth on my mouth.”
However, cops said, the victim managed to free herself from the clutches of the driver and raised an alarm. Some passersby and motorists stopped for help but by the time they came, the driver managed to flee from the spot.
The victim noted down the auto rickshaw number, which was later given to police.
She was later sent to All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) for medical examination.
The police said that the auto rickshaw number is not complete and the three-wheeler could not be identified.
“We are zeroing in on all the auto rickshaws with a similar series as given by the victim. It might be a fake number as well. We are trying to verify the same from the transport department,” the police officer added.
Meanwhile, the police have detained some drivers, plying on the route, for questioning.
The victim is a business executive with an MNC in Safdarjung Enclave and was staying with her family in Chirag Dilli, police said. – TOI.
In 2006, a girl from North East working in a Mall in Gurgoan was molested by a manager in work place. Police filed a case against the manager with molestation charges.
10. On December 12, 2005 a Manipuri woman in Gurgoan was almost dragged into truck at 6.30 pm. She manages to escape at the last minute. According to the police the woman was walking through main gate when a truck started following her. The driver offered a lift which she refused, but the truck continued to follow her as she walks into the colony of Sun City. After a while the truck driver and his cleaner started passing lewd remarks, forcing the woman to run into a narrow lane. Her pursuers got off from the vehicle and began chasing her and tried to drag her into the vehicle. The Manipuri women, however, manage to break free and run towards a nearby house. She rang the bell and sought refuge there. Said the investigating officer “neither the Sun City management nor the resident informed police and thus the investigation got delayed and the truck driver managed to flee and the guard could not chase them.”
9. On November 21, 2005 “Two youth arrested on Sunday for allegedly assaulting North East woman on Saturday night. They beat up her cousin brother after he tried to intervene,” reported TOI.
8. On November 18, 2005 “Two young men have been arrested on charges of harassing a North East girl,” reported The Hindu.
7. On November 17, 2005 a North East girl from Delhi University student was misbehaved by 20 years old youth when the girl had gone to the market accompanied by her brother and a friend that led to the protest from North East student.
6. On November 15, 2005 a Manipuri girl was molested by three youths in Nehru Vihar, Delhi. When the girl raise alarm, a crowd gathered but no one made any move to chastise the three men, who in turn raised voices and started threatening the victim before running away. The police were reluctant to file an FIR as the three youths were from the same locality which led to a mass protest by Manipur Student Association Delhi (MSAD).
5. On November 12, 2005 two women and a man from Nagaland were attacked by two young men in Delhi
4. On October 13, 2005 a FIR was filed by North East girl who stays in North Delhi hostel complaining against a person who physically assaulted and molested her while coming back from NSUD sports week.
3. On July 10, 2005 a girl from Manipur testified “I was returning from Dwarka after Church service. When I reach Chirag, Delhi I was eve teased by a man, when I ignored he said something in Hindi and caught my hand. Then when I tried to resist he slapped me thrice on my face. I started walking away crying but he came to me again , caught me on my breast and slapped me repeatedly saying that he resides in Chirag and it is his area. He threatened me with life and modesty if I complain.
2. On July 11, 2005 a 24 years old North East girl along with her friend, while coming back to her rented room was misbehaved and molested by a Taxi service owner at 3:30 PM. – HT.
1. On May 8, 2005 A Girl from the North East was raped in a moving car after being abducted from a roadside eatery in south Delhi’s busy Dhaula Kuan area.
Police said the accused bundled the victim into the steel-grey car at 2.15 a.m. Sunday and instructed the man at the wheel to drive around the city. Four men raped her by turns while the car moved through the city.
They changed cars on the way and dumped the girl two hours later near Nanakpura Gurdwara, close to the place from where they had abducted her. – IANS.